Saturday, August 18, 2018

Baronial Award Garters

I finally settled in to do a test run of some garters for the Barony of Ponte Alto's Order of the Garland award.

Pre-Pennsic, I had plotted out the entire weave; the plan was to do double-faced tablet woven bands, using a font from Linda Henrickson's Please Weave a Message. I had graphs. I had cards.

When I sat down to actually do it upon returning from Pennsic, I couldn't remember why I had set the pattern as needing 34 cards, so I cut it down to 22. I wove through the first three letters of the word "Order", turned the page in my graphing journal to "of the" to get a sense of timing, and went, "Oh."

That goddamned "f". That "f" was why I needed 34 cards.

"Oh."

So this meant I needed to either scrap the whole thing...or play Frankenstein with the lettering. The latter seemed easier than warping up 34 new cards, so that's what I did: I re-wrote the pattern so that the "f", "t", "g", and "l" all fit into the space I had available.

GIVE MY CREATION LIFE

From that point, I was like, "Hell, graphing is easy, I'm going to add Ponte Alto's bridge from their heraldry!" and...did that. I spent the better part of the evening graphing out the bridge and then finishing the weave. I'm really happy with the results, to be honest. For a first attempt at double face tablet weaving, I think I did PRETTY GOOD. 



Now I get to do it in s i l k.

No comments:

Post a Comment